LL.M in International Commercial Law and Dispute Resolution - Swiss International Law School (SiLS)
The LL.M in International Commercial Law and Dispute Resolution is designed to train the core skills and competences required of a 'global lawyer', while helping students improve their ability to work in a team. The programme is entirely web-based; students receive access to video lectures, course books, tasks and assessments as well as lectures and discussion boards.
The Swiss International Law School is a charitable foundation under Swiss law based in Basel, Switzerland. SiLS seeks to offer high-quality legal education with a special focus on international and cross-border matters and to meet the contemporary challenges of international trade through the globalisation of law.
Location: Distance learning
Language: English (French)
Number of Places/Students: 16-20 students per module
Start Date: August 1, 2016 or February 1, 2017
Duration: 1 year (full time) or 2 years (part time)
Price/Fee: 36000 CHF (aprox. 32278 EUR)
Scholarships: Both full and half scholarships are available to SiLS LL.M students. For more information on how to apply, please see the SiLS official website.
Applications to this LL.M are open to candidates with at least a Bachelor of Law or an equivalent legal qualification. To apply, you must complete the SiLS online application form.
Language Requirements: Applicants whose primary language is not English and who did not receive their university education in the English language must submit official standardised test results. SiLs accepts only IELTS (minimum of 7.0 overall, with 6.5 in each band) and TOEFL iBT (minimum of 100 with at least 20 in each section) certificates.
• Deadline: Applicants must submit all application materials before April 30, 2016 for fall 2016 admissions, or before October 31, 2016 for spring 2017 admissions. Later applications may be considered.
• Application Fee: 200 CHF (aprox. 179 EUR). Please note that if you are admitted to SiLS, the amount is set off against your tuition fees, while if your application is not accepted, the fee will be paid back.
• Documents: Applicants must upload the following documents to the Online Application Form or send them to: Swiss International Law School, Leimenstrasse 42, CH 4051 Basel, Switzerland.
a) Certified copies of relevant degrees and diplomas (undergraduate, graduate, or professional certificates), translated in English by an official translator.
b) A letter of motivation, not exceeding 900 words.
c) Names and email addresses of two referees.
d) IELTS or TOEFL results.
• Students who wish to apply for a scholarship must also submit:
e) A written statement outlining the applicant’s personal and family financial situation, not exceeding 900 words;
f) Supporting documentation, such as relevant income tax statements, and any other evidence that may support the application for a full or half scholarship.
Programme Structure (60 ECTS)
The SiLS LL.M. is awarded upon the completion of four modules and extra-modular tutorials. The programme is offered full-time with two modules per semester, or part time with one module per semester.
• Modules: Sales and Transport Law; Intellectual Property Law; Dispute Resolution; Corporate Law.
• Tutorials: Additionally, extra-modular tutorials covering important aspects of legal work are offered for individual study and practice:
Legal Research and Writing; Presentation Techniques; Professional Ethics for the Global Lawyer; Features of Common Law and Civil Law Systems; Management of Legal and Compliance Risk.
This programme offers plenty of networking opportunities among students, as well as contacts with international organisations such as UNCITRAL, UNIDROIT, the Willem C. Vis Moot, and the CISG Advisory Council. SiLS graduates are qualified to pursue careers as practitioners or scholars of international commercial law and dispute resolution, with leading global law firms and legal departments of multi-national companies.
Swiss International Law School
Mailing Address: Leimenstrasse 42, CH-4051 Basel, Switzerland
Tel.: +41 61 271 76 02
See more about this master here.